Saturday 1 July 2017

Facts about dreadlocks...

Having mine meanwhile 8 months, I am still very in love with them. Having dreadlocks, especially as girl and especially in Bali is still something special. Many experience with them came along my way, many very nice ones, sometimes strange as well. Today I would like to tell you some TRUE facts about dreadlocked people:

1. Great, you don't have to wash your hair anymore
Well, you don't have to, if you want to smell like an animal. Yes, you wash your hair even with dreadlocks, nothing special, I even use a "normal" shampoo

2. Everybody who has dreadlocks, has lice
OMG, I still remember the story when a colleague from my previous work in Germany came back from his business trip, telling me to stay away from him as he has probably lice. After seeing the big question mark in my face he answered "I was sitting in the airplane next to a dreadlock guy". Aaaaah I nearly punched him for this fact. WTF? No, having dreadlocks doesn't automatically means you are having lice. Of course you can get them as well, and oh my dear, I can imagine how difficult would it be to remove them, but how many "normal hair people" have lice

3. You wanna buy some weed? Come on, you have dreadlocks
Hahaha yes...Sometimes dreadlocks means automatically smoking weed. Yes, some or maybe most do. I don't so please stop thinking this and stop offering me weed.

4. Dreadlocks just listen to Reggae music
Yes, mostly, not everybody. I have a friend who even hates Reggae music.

5. Dreadlocked people are dirty hippies
This one is my favorite one :-) I had a bad story one morning in Canggu. 2 very drunk guys attacked me at 6:30 am in a supermarket. One of them even grab my hair, calling me dirty stupid hippie but the best one was when he told me that he just bought a chocolate which was not organic and not vegan :-) OMG!!!! If he would only know. I am not vegan, neither I really care if he buys organic stuff.
No, dreadlocked people are NOT ALWAYS dirty. In the last 1,5 years I met so many dreadlocks in Bali and not even one smelled bad. Neither me. But shall I tell you how many bad smelling people I met who don't have dreadlocks? And no, not every dreadlock is a hippie. So please stop judging us. But here I can really say it's just a small minority who do it.

In a nutshell: People are humans, no matter which skin color, hair style, nationality or religion they have: Live and let live :-) Please don't judge and smile when you see one of us, I promise, you will always get a big smile back.





1 comment: